What’s the key to keeping your yard looking tidy after you’ve already put in the work to clean it up and mow the lawn?
Grass shears are the right tool to clean up ragged grass edges or shrubbery quickly.
To find the best grass shears, in this guide, you will find our top 5 picks and reviews, including each model’s pros and cons and things to watch out for.
Reading this guide should make shopping for the best grass shears easy, so let’s begin!
Best Grass Shears For Cutting Grass
WORKPRO 2-in-1 Cordless Grass Shear
- One-handed operation
- Compact 2-in-1 design
The WORKPRO cordless handheld grass shear is what you need when you want both grass and hedge trimming capability in one simple-to-use tool.
The powerful, battery-fed motor operates for up to 40 minutes while the durable steel blades of both trimming attachments crisply cut with the accurate control that only a handheld tool can provide. Now you can remove grass from even tight areas, like under the bottom edge of fencing with no issues.
I like the steps taken to ensure the safe use of the shears, with a child safety lock and a removable security key. I also am a fan of how effortless it is to hold this lightweight (just over a pound) tool with the contour of the handle, reducing stress on the wrist.
- Powerful operation allows clean cuts of both grass and shrubbery up to 10mm thick
- Quick-change trimmer heads require no tools so that you can move from one job to the next fast
- Very lightweight and comfortable to hold over long periods
- Kit comes complete with a charger, grass shears, and hedge shears at an affordable price
- Dual safety features prevent accidental operation which protects the tool and people from harm
- Security key can hook on foliage, pop out and get lost if you’re not careful
- Space between blades is narrow which limits the ease in which material can slip inside to be cut
The WORKPRO grass shears are a smart choice because they provide the high power necessary to prune bushes while cleanly clipping the lawn without pulling up or shredding the grass blades. This model is best for homeowners with extensive landscaping who like the cost and space-saving versatility this two-in-one shear provides.
Fiskars Long-Handle Swivel Grass Shears
- Long shaft
- 4-1/2 inch blades swivel 360 degrees
The Fiskars Swivel Grass Shears feature a long, lightweight aluminum handle that increases ease-of-use while reducing back strain so you can always keep your lawn looking well-manicured.
The tool uses hardened carbon-steel blades on the head that can rotate up to 180-degrees, so you can trim grass at any angle. The five-inch blades keep their sharpness, so you can cleanly cut without leaving behind the unsightly grass-blade shredding found with poor-quality shears.
I like that you can use the foot to rest the pole on the ground while trimming grass, which makes it more stable and creates more pressure when squeezing the handle to close the blades. I also like not relying on battery power to operate the tool, so it’s always ready for quick touch-ups.
- Long shaft eliminates bending of the knees when trimming grass
- Sharp, five-inch blades cut even tall or thick grasses faster to reduce work time
- Slim design is easy to store and blade locks shut to prevent injury or damage
- Ergonomic squeeze-grip handle increases comfort while reducing hand strain
- Manual operation requires no gas, battery, or electric which is better for the environment
- Need to spray blades and mechanisms with lubricant to avoid sticking
- Blades are heavy-duty but can dull quickly on thick weeds
I give the Fiskars Long-Handle Swivel Grass Shears a place in the top five because it allows you to adjust the blade angle easily and doesn’t rely on power to run. This model is best for homeowners who want a ready-to-go tool to quickly eliminate annoying tall grass or weeds ruining the look of their lawn.
Sun Joe Cordless 2-in-1 Grass Shear And Hedge Trimmer
- Rechargeable 7. 2 V lithium-ion battery
- Detachable 3-foot Extension pole
The Sun Joe 2-in-1 grass shear combination tool is a fantastic handheld or push-behind trimmer that allows you to cut unruly grass and bushes with precision.
Push a button to get instant power from the long-life, rechargeable battery so you can keep all your hedges and tall grass groomed to perfection. The blade heads are super quick and easy to change out as you work around your yard.
I like how you can attach the three-foot extension pole with wheels that reduces back and knee strain when you have long expanses to trim along walkways or planters. The angle adjustment on the pole further increases the cutting precision and overall comfort during use.
- Steel material resists rusting for seasons of carefree use
- Coverts easily from four-inch grass clipper to six-inch hedge trimmer to complete yard work faster
- Adjustable-angle extension pole attaches for stand-up use or to reach tricky places
- Handles with pads and lightweight design provide extra comfort during use
- Great value for a cordless, dual-purpose yard tool that includes the charger and battery
- Blades don’t cut as well through thicker foliage or weeds as they do on grass
- Wheels are too small to roll easily on grass or rocky surfaces
I make the Sun Joe 2-in-1 Grass Shear Combo a top choice because it provides even more value and versatility over standard grass shears by featuring two different cutting heads and convenient cordless operation. This model is ideal for homeowners with both grass and hedge trimming needs who prefer the freedom of movement battery-operated tools provide.
Fiskars Swivel Soft Touch Grass ShearNo products found.
- Shear Ease technology prevents the blades from jamming or sticking
- 4.5″ steel blades
These Fiskars grass shears are the affordable choice when you need a grass-trimming hand tool that works reliably yet will fit safely into your gardening tote with a blade-lock that prevents accidental damage to blades and fingers.
The heavy-duty, five-inch blades are ground to a sharp edge, so you can expect super-clean cuts that leave your grass looking neat.
Shear Ease, a patented mechanism, helps the tool operate without the frustration of the blade sticking while you’re trying to work.
I love how you can rotate the blades a full 360-degrees so you can adjust the tool to fit the job in both vertical or horizontal cutting angles. The lightweight design and adjustability allow you to use the shears comfortably and with full control to blast through your grass-clipping tasks.
- Hardened-steel, 360-degree adjustable blades allow for complete versatility and clean cuts all the way to the tip
- Durable construction yet lightweight, for jam-free use without strain
- No battery means no project downtime waiting for a recharge
- Small size fits nicely into a garden apron or tote and requires little storage space
- Affordable price can fit into most people’s budget
- Annoying design flaw can randomly engage the blade-lock mechanism
- Must bend or get on knees to reach the grass for trimming
The Fiskar Swivel Soft Touch hand shears make my pick because they are a durable and effective tool for trimming the grass in the places your lawnmower misses. This model is best for homeowners with small yards with minimal grass trimming needs who like keeping their lawncare budget under control.
Gardena Cordless Grass Shears
What’s In The Box / Top Features
- Replaceable high-quality blades
- Operating time of approx. 45 min.
These Gardena Classic Cut cordless grass shears feature a powerful lithium-ion battery for long-lasting runtime between charges so you can avoid the constant stress on your hands that manual hand-clippers can cause.
The tool is one of the most comfortable grass shears to use, with a pivoting comfort handle that minimizes hand strain. The high-quality blades feature a non-stick coating to reduce jamming and make them easy to clean. The three-inch width clipper head is small enough to fit into even tight areas, so no area of your lawn looks unkempt.
I like that this kit comes with the charger and uses a LED display so you can easily see the charging status.
I also appreciate the plastic cover that helps protect the blades from damage when not in use and the fast-change blade feature to swap out worn blades or use the optional hedge-trimming accessory.
- Powerful blades cleanly cut through even thick grasses or clumps without jamming
- Comes with charger and blade cover
- Quick-change blade feature allows you to swap heads without tools
- Lithium Ion battery runs for up to 45 minutes
- Ergonomic design to reduce hand fatigue
- A bit pricey for a single-job yard tool
- Blades can stall when it encounters woody branches
- Hard to locate parts for repair
The Gardena Classic Cut Cordless Grass Shears make my list even with the higher price-point since the tool runs a long time on one battery charge and clips grass off cleanly. This model is best for homeowners with ample grass trimming needs since the tool is easy to operate, even for those who have smaller hands or who suffer from arthritis or other physical disability.
Do You Really Need Grass Shears?
Grass shears are any tool that clips grass specifically.
Grass shears blades tend to be shorter in length and come in a vertical or horizontal position for either trimming down the height of grass or for cleaning up lawn edges near driveways or sidewalks.
Shears need to be tough enough to handle cutting through dense sections of turf or thick growth like crabgrass or weeds.
Grass shears can be a manual-clipper style that uses the squeezing motion of your hand to bring two blades together, much like a pair of scissors, to cut down overgrowth.
Shears can also be electric or battery-powered, which use a different blade configuration and movement to clip grass.
While you don’t necessarily need grass shears, the benefits of using them to maintain the look of your landscaping include:
- Cleans up sections of the lawn the mower can’t reach like near planters, fences, walls, or walkways
- Takes less time to clear a small area versus pulling out a weed eater
- Allows for more precision cutting to prevent damage to nearby items
- The tool is small and easier to carry around or store when not in use
- Creates a sharp, professional-looking finish that increases the curb appeal of your home
- Many grass shears can double as a light-use tool for pruning shrubbery
Grass shears help improve the look of your home and decrease the time it takes to complete tedious gardening chores, which makes them an excellent tool to add to your garden tool collection.
Things To Watch Out For
Let’s look at the things you need to consider before making a final decision on which type of grass shears are best for your needs.
Quality Of Materials And Construction
Like any lawn and garden tool, grass shears need to withstand consistent use while holding up to exposure to dirt, sunlight, and moisture.
Blades should be of steel and thick enough to handle repeated sharpening over its lifetime. Shears with cutting blades that cannot be sharpened, like many power models, should offer replacement heads that are easy to swap out.
The other components of the tool should be of thick plastic to prevent cracks if dropped and use long-running Lithium-Ion batteries if it’s a rechargeable model.
Weight And Features
Grass shears should be lightweight to avoid straining hand, back, or arm muscles during use.
The mechanisms for blade operation should provide smooth movement, with manual models offering spring-action to pop open the blades again automatically after being squeezed shut.
Blades should never catch or jam up during operation, which slows down the job as well as causes dulling. Safety features should include blade locks and blade covers to protect users and children from accidental injury.
Manual Or Powered Operation
Powered grass shears alleviate the constant hand-squeezing motion necessary when using
the tool over large areas of lawn, but they do require electricity for either direct power or to charge up a battery.
Manual shears will always be ready to work when you need them, while you may have to wait several hours for cordless grass shears to recharge.
Manual grass shears cost less and provide extreme cutting precision, while power grass shears quickly remove unwanted grass, but you pay the price for that convenience.
Handheld Or Upright Design
The style of grass shear you select should depend on your needs. Handheld shears, whether manual or powered, give you more control of the cut, so your edges look clean and even, but your knees or back will pay the price.
Shears that mount to a long handle allow you to work while standing upright, which eliminates stress on your body but doesn’t get you close enough to the grass to see if your cuts are straight.
The best grass shears will offer rotating heads so that you can position the blades horizontally, vertically, or at an angle in between.
Some shears allow you to change out the cutting head from a grass clipper to a more hefty hedge trimmer, which increases the tool’s versatility and saves you money, storage space, and time.
Lastly, look for shears that can work on a handle or independently as a handheld to increase the ways you can use the tool across your property to keep it looking neat.
Grass shears are the answer to quick landscaping touch-ups that don’t require pulling out bulky weed-eaters or mowers.
If you still aren’t sure which grass shear is best, I highly recommend the handheld Sun Joe Cordless 2-in-1 Grass Shear and Hedge Trimmer for overall value, weight, and versatility to precisely clean up grass edges, fencing lines, hedges, and more.
For those looking for a reliable, budget-friendly, manual model, I’d go with the Fiskars 360-degree Swivel Soft Touch Grass Shear.
No matter which model you choose, using a pair of grass shears makes it easy to fine tune the look of your lawn and landscaping!